Read Double Exposures by Dennis Vickers Free Online
Book Title: Double Exposures|
The author of the book: Dennis Vickers
City - Country: No data
Loaded: 1498 times
Reader ratings: 6.7
Edition: Sunny Waters Books
Date of issue: 2014
ISBN: No data
ISBN 13: No data
Format files: PDF
The size of the: 769 KB
Read full description of the books:
Double Exposures is a collection of short stories, some previously published, some not, some related, some not. Each strives to shed light on an underlying complexity (psychological, metaphysical, or aesthetic). That is the main characteristic they have in common and the main reason they are collected together.
There is a world behind the world we experience, behind the world science considers. This back-stage reality is responsible for much of what we encounter and for all of the meaning we discover. Perhaps Plato was right. Perhaps this world is more real than material reality. The truths there persist while the truths of the material world are fleeting. The elements there remain what they are while the material world is a seething, churning, cauldron of short-lived things doing what they do for a short time.
I’m fascinated with how similar are the processes of painting pictures and writing stories. Both look into the world behind the scenes, the reality where meaning is rooted. Both attempt to reflect something there with what is ultimately an imitation of an imitation. Storytelling uses words and sentences for this purpose; painting uses colors and two-dimensional shapes. Plato would judge the result a reflection of a reflection, the shadow of an imitation projected onto the cave wall. Yet, if the story or illustration succeeds in revealing something of the world behind, if it taps the meaning there and draws its blood onto the page, we circumvent the everyday world and kiss the eternal. This is the storyteller or artist’s aspiration.
Download Double Exposures ERUB
Download Double Exposures DOC
Download Double Exposures TXT
Read information about the authorSurprisingly, truth is best told through fiction. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Of course, lies are best told through nonfiction, but I don’t do that. With fiction, the story can be about almost anything so long as it has the stuff of life in it. The stuff of life -- aye, there’s the rub.
Like bears and Sasquatch, Dennis Vickers lives in the north woods. Sometimes he teaches philosophy and creative writing at a tribal college; other times he holds up in a river cottage and writes this stuff. As the previous sentence proves, he knows how to work semicolons and isn’t afraid to use them.
1. Witless: Rural communities clash in 18th Century Wisconsin.
2. Bluehart: Life story of fictional blues accordion player.
3. Second Virtue: Courage -- where it comes from and where it goes.
4. Adam’s Apple: Life story of congressman who fucks his mother. You thought they all did?
5. Passing through Paradise: Narrative collage mixing quest story with love story with satyr play. No salt.
6. Between the Shadow and the Soul: Love and lust, or maybe the other way.
7. Mikawadizi Storms: Open pit mine vs. pristine forest. You decide.
8. Double Exposures: Collection of short stories, some realism, all magical.
9. Only Breath: Ghost story wrapped in a mystery wrapped in waxed paper.
10. Only Words: Lost-love quest story set in neolithic Europe told by the words themselves.
Reviews of the Double Exposures
Add a comment
Download EBOOK Double Exposures by Dennis Vickers Online free